8 January 2016

Progress with the Farrier


The first time the farrier came, a few months ago, Blue Belle flinched at even the slightest touch from him. If he tried to touch her legs, she'd rear, or lunge, or try to bite him. By the time her hooves were trimmed, both humans and pony were exhausted - droplets of sweat were running off Blue Belle's tummy. It was horrible. I was upset that my pony was so terrified.

The second time the farrier came, Suckie was with us. As we waited in the yard for him to arrive, we walked around and I stoked her back. Blue Belle allowed the farrier to lift her legs. There was still some flinching, and she was clearly still nervous - I stayed at her head, stroked her neck just under her mane and told her how good she was being. She lunged once, but my theory is that she lost her balance - when the same leg was lifted again, I was on her other side and she was leaning on me rather than the farrier.

After her hooves were trimmed, I gave Blue Belle a hug and told her she was a very good little pony.

I'm so proud of her and the progress we've made so far.


Good girl, Blue Belle.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for progress! She's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures! I just discovered you blog through the 2016 Pet Blogger challenge. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete